Thursday 22 December 2011

Wheelers

It was a beautiful day today for December. Not bad for July either. I managed to get up in time to get the new bike in order and fill myself with carbohydrate. I then set off by car to Ashton-in-Makerfield to meet up again with the Wigan Wheelers for one of their social runs, or rides. The weather ensured there was a decent turn out - 7 in all - and I think my presence reduced the average age a little.

Trusty steeds waiting outside saloon
Off we went through the back lanes around Warrington towards Northwich which seemed like miles away when I was told that was today's destination. I tagged along at the back while the septuagenarians all took turns to drop back alongside me to check that they weren't going too fast. I managed to stay with them and we eventually reached a roadside cafe near Northwich where we had a hearty all-day breakfast and a good chat.


Vulcan Village. One had gone early. I'm just a shadow.
Half an hour later we set off back through a different set of even more obscure lanes and tracks through villages I had never heard of. The miles went by quickly, being with good company, and we eventually arrived back at my car with 82.2 km on the clock which is just over 50 miles.

So, I've managed a significant target today, especially after managing 40 odd miles on Tuesday. I think I deserve a drink. I will not go out tonight. I will watch Spurs v Chelsea and hopefully will also see my fellow cycling legend and Manxman, Mark Cavendish, be crowned BBC Sport Personality of the Year. I will save myself for my Company Christmas do tomorrow when I will have an all-day session. Hopefully the usual suspects will be joined by various other self-employed ne'er-do-wells in the Pear Tree at High Noon. Do no forsake me Oh my Darran.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment