Monday 28 November 2011

Restful Weekend?


IT WAS NOT! 

I was in a bit of a rush on Friday after my long ride through the wind and rain so didn't even have time to finish off my beans on toast. I set off in a hurry to pick up Sawyer, now known as "Jimmy Shoes", from the bus station. Fortunately the bus was a bit late. My lateness, by the way, was due to starting the training ride a bit late and OK maybe it took me a bit longer than I thought. 
Jimmy Shoes has caught up - lets go
We got to Corky's in Leeds where we met up again with Brendan, now known as "Double Egg". After a cup of Bell's fortified tea (or was it the other way round?) we set off for the North York Moors. We stopped in Pickering for a couple. The official reason was to check out the possibility of watching football on Saturday which didn't eventually materialise. We arrived at the billet a bit late possibly because Peter laughs in the face of satellite navigation, a commodity he used to sell, apparently. We were quickly introduced around and made welcome with all the traditional insults. We were plied with a tasty, very meaty stew, several portions for Brendan, and a few pints of a local brew named "Two Pints" and then whisked off by minibus to the New Inn for the beer festival. I was a bit tired and described as "Lightweight" which was most welcome. I actually went to bed as soon as we returned, living to fight another day after dropping down from "Super Heavy". 

Barry with mouth almost closed

Next day, after the heartiest of hearty breakfasts and a pleasant ramble over the hills we eventually arrived at Lastingham, despite Sawyer's inappropriate footwear, hence the nickname. We then embarked on a tremendous four hour joke-telling marathon in a lovely country pub named the Blacksmith's, suitably accompanied by more than a few pints of Copper Dragon's Golden Pippin which was sensational. The Japanese tourists who stumbled in to the pub were amazed but they entered into the spirit of things. Just at the right time Anthony and the magic minibus appeared from nowhere and took us back for more meaty stew, a very quick swill and then before we knew it we were back at the beer festival at Cropton.   
Look at those tankards (rhyming slang)

The evening went well with some good bands on view and we rounded off the evening with some "tuneful" singing of our own back at the digs. The breakfast on Sunday was as hearty as ever and we said our farewells and set of for home. 

Japanese Tourists joining in
I don't think the above precis has done justice to the weekend. It was brilliantly organised and the humour was second to none. I feel as if I laughed from start to finish. I enjoyed the company of my old mates of 40 years or so and met some real characters - I think they call that a euphemism. 




Wasn't this supposed to be about a bike ride? Anyway, yes, back to reality. I felt sort of recovered this morning and trundled around my 11 mile ride. It was just a case of getting back on the bike again. I didn't even check the speed.         

No comments:

Post a Comment