Saturday 10 March 2012

My Longest Ride Yet

Thursday's ride went OK. I can say that now but it was surprisingly gruelling at the time. It was a total of 118 km long, which is the longest ride I have ever done, and I got home at about 6.30 after a 10 am start. I expected a long flat easy ride but the demon wind started to kick in after I changed direction South of Preston. I was fully loaded and felt the difference all the way.

I met George at Tarleton only a little late and after exchanging the customary insults and a bite to eat we set off towards Southport. We took the coast road and battled against the wind which seemed to turn as we turned. It's a phenomenon which afflicts all cyclists apparently. I checked on a weather website yesterday and found the wind at Southport on Thursday had been from the West and between 25 and 37 kph which is quite tough. Enough bleating, we got through the worst and stopped at a little cafe in Ainsdale for a breakfast barm and then headed for home through Aintree, stopping at the famous Melling Road for a tweet. George got his standard puncture on the East Lancs Rd after Kirkby and, as he set off again after the repair, he found his gear mechanism had snapped. Oh no, the indignity of phoning for a lift home. I had to leave hime to it and made my own way home via Rainford and Upholland.

I eventually made it home and had at least one pint of Vimto and a nice bath and was then whisked off to my neice's place for Adam's 13th birthday party. It was good to see everyone and I drank lots of water and scoffed a lot of unhealthy stuff but I deserved it. I met up with the codgers a bit later than usual but still awake. Scratchings were presented and duly dispatched. Nigel had read the blog at the end of his lunchtime and realised, too late, that he had not done his duty and called at the indoor market for the evening's delicacies. He was redeemed by my late arrival which allowed him time to buy some "Black Country Specials" from an earlier venue. Very nice they were too and most welcome.

Predictably, Friday was a rest day and a half but I managed to get to mother's and back today which is about 24 miles. I think I am used to the bags now but need to build up mileage this week for the Brampton assault in two weeks time.        

No comments:

Post a Comment